First day of February, and it’s Friday, and I am just so ready for the Super Bowl on Sunday! Who are you rooting for? Who actually cares who wins, or who just shows up to parties for the food and ads? I am actually a HUGE football fan, and a loud and proud RAMS fan, so I am so excited for this weekend!
I’d be curious to know if we (Americans) consume more food and calories on Thanksgiving or Super Bowl Sunday. Any body know? Leave me a comment below! I have to believe the two days have to be pretty close! Though I am all for throwing dietary caution to the wind on Super Bowl Sunday, I am PRO one satisfying (and hopefully healthy?) main dish, so you don’t fill up on all of the junk. This year, I am thinking it should be these Greek chicken burgers!
The burger patties come together quickly and can easily be scaled for a crowed. They are seasoned with a little bit of purple onion, oregano, and fresh lemon juice before cooking and then topped with even more delicious layers of fresh veggies for the ultimate Greek chicken burger.
I use dark meat ground chicken because it has much more flavor. Even though dark meat has more fat than white meat, it yields a more flavorful burger, and thus proves to be an excellent base for these patties. Feel free to swap in ground white meat chicken, or even turkey, if you prefer. If you do use white meat, I suggest oiling your grill grates prior to heating your grill. This will provide a more effortless release when cooking and flipping.
I love serving burgers at parties because they are completely customizable, depending your preferred palate. You can set up a burger bar, and let people stack their own. The burger patty can even be added to a bed of romaine lettuce for a healthy gluten-free twist on a Greek salad.
The addition of my Whole30 Green Goddess Dressing adds a great herb flavor and tang, especially if you don’t like pepperoncini.Print
These Greek chicken burgers have seasoned patties and are piled high with your favorite Greek flavors such as feta, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Add a drizzle of green goddess dressing to take this burger over the top!
- 1 ½ lb dark ground chicken
- ½ cup finely chopped purple onion
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced, about 1 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 Brioche buns
- feta cheese, crumbled
- tomatoes, sliced
- cucumbers, sliced
- Greek pepperoncini
- green goddess dressing (optional)
- Make the burgers – In a large bowl, and using your hands or stiff spoon, blend the ground chicken, onion, oregano, garlic, lemon juice, beaten egg, and salt and pepper. Portion out four equal burgers, and form them into flat patties. Set aside.
- Pre-heat your grill to medium heat, or a cast iron skillet, over medium stovetop heat. If using a skillet, wait for it to pre-heat before adding 1 tsp of avocado or olive oil.
- Add your prepared burgers to the grill or skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes before flipping.
- I am a fan of toasted buns, so this is where I would say, start toasting your buns!
- Cook the burgers an additional 4-5 minutes on the second side. The best way to test their doneness is to poke them. If the juices run clear, they are done.
- Assemble your burgers by layering your favorite Greek toppings such as crumbled feta, tomatoes, cucumber slices, and pepperoncini. Top with a drizzle of green goddess dressing for an extra layer of flavor!