Happy Friday friends! How is everyone doing on their goals for 2018 so far? It is hard to believe we are only 11 days into January. The holidays feel like forever ago, especially looking ahead to all of the exciting things coming up! If you follow me on Instagram, you saw that I started my bone broth cleanse on Monday, which means I only have two days left! It has definitely been great jumpstart to my health goals for the year, but these banana nut quinoa breakfast bars are in my freezer, and they’ve been calling out to me all week!
If you love banana, you are going to love these quinoa breakfast bars! They are gluten free, full of banana chunks, oats, quinoa, and walnuts, making them a great grab-and-go breakfast. They are super easy to whip together, and a great way to use up those bananas that have been ignored on your counter all week. Confession – sometimes I buy bananas with the strict goal of getting them to over ripen so I can turn them into my favorite banana recipes like this one, or my Healthy Banana Bread. Great idea, obviously!
You might be thinking, “Quinoa? In a breakfast bar?” The answer is a resounding yes! I love sneaking in quinoa where I can because it is full of essential amino acids making it a complete protein. It’s also a great source of magnesium, iron, fiber, and zinc, compared to other grains. I promise, it adds a great texture to these banana nut breakfast bars, you won’t even taste it!
Give them a try this weekend and then let me know what you think! I also wouldn’t be upset if you added chocolate chips, or swapped the walnuts for pecans. I’ve done both before, and each variation has been delicious! Enjoy!Print
These simple but delicious quinoa breakfast bars are packed with protein and fiber and are perfectly sweet. An easy breakfast recipe for busy mornings.
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line an 8″x8″ baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oats, quinoa, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and walnuts. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the banana, vanilla, and eggs. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula, making sure it is even and spread into the corners.
- Bake on the center rack for 25-30 minutes, or until the bars are golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool completely in the pan. Lift up on the parchment to remove from the pan, and slice into squares. Store in an airtight container for 4 – 5 days.