Super Bowl Sunday is here!! The second greatest eating day of the year…behind Thanksgiving, of course! What are you looking forward to most? Is it the crazy ridiculous dips full of bacon and all things cheesy? I always try to keep things as healthy as possible while still enjoying all of my favorite snack foods. I love having some healthy(er) dips, some gluten free crackers, aged cheeses, and of course, lots of fresh cut veggies! Another healthy swap I love making is these slow cooker buffalo chicken meatballs instead of traditional wings.
These buffalo chicken meatballs are much healthier than their winged counterpart, but don’t skimp on any of the buffalo flavor. They are made with ground dark meat chicken, and seasoned to perfection before being baked and then dumped in the slow cooker to simmer in delicious spicy buffalo sauce.
Serve them alongside a REAL chunky blue cheese dressing, carrot sticks, and celery sticks for the ultimate party snack. No bones, no mess! They can easily be scaled to serve a crowd, and I love that I can leave them in the slow cooker on warm.
If you need additional ideas, check out my post from earlier this week detailing all of my favorite game day friendly recipes from the blog!Print
All of your favorite chicken wing flavors in a convenient, slow cooker recipe! These buffalo chicken meatballs are baked, not fried, and full of spicy buffalo flavor. Serve alongside blue cheese dressing and sticks of celery and carrot for the ultimate buffalo chicken dish.
- 1 lb ground dark meat chicken
- ¾ cup bread crumbs (I use gluten free)
- 1 egg at room temperature, lightly beaten
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ – 2 cups buffalo sauce
- ½ cup blue cheese or ranch dressing, for serving
- carrot and celery sticks, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add ground chicken, bread crumbs, beaten egg, onion powder, crushed garlic, green onions, parsley, salt and pepper. Using a sturdy spatula (or clean hands), mix until well combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop, roll into about 24 meatballs, and arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until pale on the outside.
- Carefully transfer meatballs to your slow cooker, and pour buffalo sauce over top. Move the meatballs around gently to make sure they are all evenly coated. Cook on LOW for 2 hours.
- Drizzle with blue cheese or ranch dressing and serve with celery sticks or carrot sticks.