It’s finally here! This chicken chorizo white bean soup recipe is what I cooked at my Williams-Sonoma event a couple of weeks ago. Side note – I am sorry for the delay in getting this up on the blog. Work has been very very busy (but amazing things are on the horizon!) so I haven’t been able to keep up with the blog as well. BUT, I will say that I am reshuffling and reprioritizing to make sure that I stay consistent since I know how important it is to stay on top of content. I wouldn’t be here doing this without amazing readers like you, so THANK YOU! Now, let’s get down to business! If you’re in the middle of any kind of Winter cold snap like we are in LA, you’re definitely going to want to make a batch of this soup! It is guaranteed to warm you up, and it is stick-to-your-ribs hearty.
The soup is a simple mirepoix (fancy French word for chopped carrot, celery, and onion), with fresh ground chicken sausage, white beans, and spinach.
Instead of a typical pork chorizo, I used a fresh chicken chorizo sausage and removed the casing before sautéing it up. It added the perfect kick, without the use of pork! Of course, if you can’t find fresh chicken chorizo sausage (Whole Foods carries it), you can always swap it out for what you can find. If you are looking for something with a more mild flavor, this recipe is equally as delicious with fresh mild Italian sausage as well!
One of the biggest things to highlight in this recipe is the use of bone broth instead of regular broth or stock. As you guys know from my blog post a couple of months ago, I am a HUGE fan of Osso Good bone broth. I used it in this chicken chorizo white bean soup recipe, and it it adds so much richness and flavor. Normally when you buy bone broth at the market it comes in one of those shelf-stable cartons, and it is thin and watery. I think what surprised (almost everyone) at my cooking demonstration was how THICK and gelatenous the Osso Good bone broth is. It is not a liquid until you heat it. That is how you know it full of the vital collagen and nutrients necessary for it to be considered a high-quality bone broth. Start with quality ingredients and you will get a quality result. That is my mantra!Print
A hearty and warming chicken chorizo white bean soup. This recipe starts with celery, carrots, onions, with chicken chorizo sausage, white beans, and spinach, all in a savory chicken bone broth.
- 1–3 Tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 lb FRESH chicken or regular chorizo sausages, casing removed
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh celery
- 1 cup chopped fresh carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 cups of chicken bone broth, or chicken stock
- 2 15oz cans Great Northern White Beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 large handfuls of spinach
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, heat 1-2 Tbsp avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo, and break it up with your spatula or spoon, so it crumbles and cooks through. About 5-8 minutes. Remove from pan, and set aside. Do not wipe out the pan.
- Add a little bit more oil (if needed), and then add the chopped onion, celery, and carrot. Cook until the onions are tender and translucent, about 5-10 minutes. Add the chopped garlic, and stir.
- Add the chorizo back into the pot. Stir in the paprika, some salt and pepper, and finally the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add the beans, and continue to simmer for an additional 20-25 minutes.
- Add one cup (handful) of spinach at a time, and allow it to wilt before adding another. Taste it, and season with additional salt and pepper before serving, if needed.
Photography By: Kristen Schellenberg, The Altelier LA