A hearty and warming chicken chorizo white bean soup. This recipe starts with celery, carrots, onions, with chicken chorizo sausage, white beans, and spinach, all in a savory chicken bone broth.
- 1-3 Tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 lb FRESH chicken or regular chorizo sausages, casing removed
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh celery
- 1 cup chopped fresh carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 cups of chicken bone broth, or chicken stock
- 2 15oz cans Great Northern White Beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 large handfuls of spinach
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, heat 1-2 Tbsp avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo, and break it up with your spatula or spoon, so it crumbles and cooks through. About 5-8 minutes. Remove from pan, and set aside. Do not wipe out the pan.
- Add a little bit more oil (if needed), and then add the chopped onion, celery, and carrot. Cook until the onions are tender and translucent, about 5-10 minutes. Add the chopped garlic, and stir.
- Add the chorizo back into the pot. Stir in the paprika, some salt and pepper, and finally the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add the beans, and continue to simmer for an additional 20-25 minutes.
- Add one cup (handful) of spinach at a time, and allow it to wilt before adding another. Taste it, and season with additional salt and pepper before serving, if needed.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- Category: Soups, Stews, Main Dish