A fresh and healthy chicken shawarma salad with a tangy tahini vinaigrette. The perfect dinner salad full of fresh vegetables, herbs, and zesty Mediterranean spices.
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 Tbsp fresh crushed garlic
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
FOR THE SALAD
- approximately 8 cups chopped fresh romaine lettuce
- approximately 4 cups fresh arugula
- ½ cup fresh chopped Italian parsley leaves
- ¼ cup fresh chopped chives
- suggested/optional toppings
- crispy curry chickpeas
- mini heirloom tomatoes
- chopped cucumber
- fresh or roasted red pepper
- marinated artichoke hearts
- pepperoncini peppers
- kalamata olives
- crumbled feta cheese
- finely sliced shallot or red onion
FOR THE TAHINI VINAIGRETTE
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- You may need ¼ cup of water to help thin out the dressing depending on the thickness of your tahini
- To make the chicken marinade – Use a glass measuring cup and add the lemon juice, avocado oil, turmeric, garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Add the chicken thighs into a gallon-size Ziplock bag and pour the marinade over the chicken. Press the air out of the bag, seal, and gently toss to coat. Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least a few hours, and up to overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 425F degrees.
- Arrange the chicken thighs in a rimmed baking dish. Pour any excess marinade over the chicken, and bake for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the salad. Layer the lettuces, fresh herbs, and your desired toppings.
- To make the dressing – add the tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper into your blender or food processor. Blend until emulsified. Depending on desired consistency, add ¼ cup of water and blend. Add additional water 1 Tbsp at a time as needed.
- Top your prepared salads with the sliced chicken, and drizzle with the tahini vinaigrette before serving.
Refrigerate leftover dressing in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Prep Time: 1 Hour
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Category: Salad, Meat, Poultry
Keywords: Shawarma, Chicken, Chicken Thighs, Salad, Curry, Turmeric, Greek, Tahini, Romaine Lettuce, Arugula, Difficulty – Moderate, Gluten Free, Paleo, Whole30, Keto