Easy and creamy homemade cashew milk is a great non-dairy milk alternative that requires no straining. Delicious in recipes, over cereal, or in your morning coffee.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 8 cups cold filtered water
- 1 date (pit removed), or 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of pink salt
- Add cashews to a small bowl. Cover with 4 cups of water and let soak for 2-3 hours. Drain cashews and rinse thoroughly with clean water.
- Using a high-speed blender, add the cashews, 4 cups of water, your sweetener of choice, vanilla extract, and salt. Pulse a few times before processing on high speed for 60-90 seconds.
- Transfer cashew milk to a glass container and store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Soaking the cashews prior to blending softens them, but it also sprouts the nut and helps remove the phytic acid. Almost all seeds and nuts contain phytic acid which inhibits the absorption of other minerals like zinc, iron and calcium when you eat them. It can also cause gastrointestinal distress. Soaking and sprouting cashews increases the protein and amino acid ratio, while making them easier to digest.
- Prep Time: 3 Hours
- Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- Category: Drinks
Keywords: Difficulty – Easy, Cashew Milk, Non-Dairy, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Paleo, Whole30, Keto