Crispy chickpeas are quickly becoming one of my favorite snacks. I love them simply salted, but these curry flavored ones might be in permanent rotation. They were originally just a crunchy salad topping for my epically delicious chicken shawarma salad, but now I’m eating the leftovers by the handful! They really are the perfect non-crouton salad topping adding that desired crunch and a boost of flavor without the gluten or extra bread.
I’ll be honest though…before I perfected the crispy chickpea, there were many batches that came out dried out soft chickpeas – not exactly the crunchy salad topping or snack I was looking for. I’ve rounded up my best tips and tricks to achieve perfectly crispy chickpeas every time and included a zesty curry seasoning blend below, to add once they are out of the oven.
How to make perfectly crispy chickpeas
These steps will ensure you have extra crispy chickpeas every time!
- Thoroughly drain and rinse the chickpeas.
Run the chickpeas under cold water until they no longer foam.
- Spread chickpeas out on an absorbent towel. Fold towel over, and gently rub the chickpeas around to dry them.
- Gently remove the outside skin of each chickpea by gently pinching each chickpea between your fingers.
Removing the outside skin ensures you will get an extra crispy chickpea.
- Dry the chickpeas again by repeating step 2.
- Add chickpeas and 1 Tbsp avocado oil to a small bowl. Season with salt, and toss to coat.
By simply roasting the chickpeas with oil and salt, the chickpeas are allowed to roast more evenly and fully.
- Spread chickpeas out evenly on a parchment lined rimmed cookie sheet.
Give them enough space from each other so when they are roasting, the steam and moisture doesn’t get trapped.
- Bake low and slow at 350F degrees for 60 minutes, turning and shaking the pan halfway through.
By stirring the chickpeas halfway through cooking you allow them to roast more evenly.
- Season the chickpeas with 1-2 tsp of seasoning.
Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before tossing the chickpeas in your desired seasoning.
- Allow chickpeas to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Toss them on a salad, or join me in eating them by the handful. I think you’ll agree these perfectly crispy chickpeas are a winner!Print
Crispy curry flavored chickpeas roasted in the oven. With a few simple tricks, oven roasted chickpeas can really be crispy and airy. These are lightly dusted with a curry powder seasoning for a zesty crispy treat. They make a great snack or topping for salads.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350F degrees. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Drain, rinse, and really dry the chickpeas on a towel. Pinch each chickpea to remove the outside skin. Dry skinned chickpeas again thoroughly by gently rolling them around on the towel.
- In a small bowl, combine chickpeas, avocado oil, and salt. Toss to coat well. Spread chickpeas on your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes before shaking the chickpeas around and cooking for an additional 15 – 30 minutes. The chickpeas should be airy/dry but will continue to crisp while they cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the curry powder, garlic powder, and turmeric powder.
- While the chickpeas are still warm from the oven, toss them in the spice blend. Allow to them to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Dried chickpeas last for 2-3 in an airtight container.