Crispy chickpeas are quickly becoming one of my favorite snacks. I love them simply salted, but these curry flavored ones might be in permanent rotation. They were originally just a crunchy salad topping for my epically delicious chicken shawarma salad, but now I'm eating the leftovers by the handful! They really are the perfect non-crouton salad topping adding that desired crunch and a boost of flavor without the gluten or extra bread.
I'll be honest though...before I perfected the crispy chickpea, there were many batches that came out dried out soft chickpeas - not exactly the crunchy salad topping or snack I was looking for. I've rounded up my best tips and tricks to achieve perfectly crispy chickpeas every time and included a zesty curry seasoning blend below, to add once they are out of the oven.
How to make perfectly crispy chickpeas
These steps will ensure you have extra crispy chickpeas every time!
- Thoroughly drain and rinse the chickpeas.
Run the chickpeas under cold water until they no longer foam.
- Spread chickpeas out on an absorbent towel. Fold towel over, and gently rub the chickpeas around to dry them.
- Gently remove the outside skin of each chickpea by gently pinching each chickpea between your fingers.
Removing the outside skin ensures you will get an extra crispy chickpea.
- Dry the chickpeas again by repeating step 2.
- Add chickpeas and 1 tablespoon avocado oil to a small bowl. Season with salt, and toss to coat.
By simply roasting the chickpeas with oil and salt, the chickpeas are allowed to roast more evenly and fully.
- Spread chickpeas out evenly on a parchment lined rimmed cookie sheet.
Give them enough space from each other so when they are roasting, the steam and moisture doesn't get trapped.
- Bake low and slow at 350F degrees for 60 minutes, turning and shaking the pan halfway through.
By stirring the chickpeas halfway through cooking you allow them to roast more evenly.
- Season the chickpeas with 1-2 teaspoon of seasoning.
Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before tossing the chickpeas in your desired seasoning.
- Allow chickpeas to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Toss them on a salad, or join me in eating them by the handful. I think you'll agree these perfectly crispy chickpeas are a winner!Print