Green tomatillo salsa is great on just about anything. It makes a fantastic snack, a wonderful topping on eggs, and an absolutely necessary addition to taco night.
- 1 lb. fresh tomatillos
- 2 jalapenos, cut lengthwise and seeds removed
- ½ white onion, cut into two quarters
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 Tbsp avocado oil
- ½ bunch of cilantro, just the leaves
- 2 limes, juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 425F degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, set aside.
- Peel the papery husks off the tomatillos. The tomatillos will have a sticky residue on them. Thoroughly wash them with dish soap and rinse well. You can also plunge them into boiling water for 90 seconds and then transfer them to an ice bath (to stop from cooking).
- Add tomatillos, jalapenos, onion and garlic cloves to your baking sheet. Drizzle with avocado oil and toss to coat evenly. Roast the veggies for 20 minutes. You don’t want the veggies to burn, just turn a beautiful golden color. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Using a blender or food processor, add the cooled veggies, cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper. Pulse to break everything up, and then process for 5-10 seconds at a time until you reach desired consistency. Taste, and add more lime juice, salt or pepper, as needed.
Best served chilled.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Category: Appetizers and Snacks
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Difficulty – Easy, Tomatillo, Salsa, Mexican Food, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Whole30, Paleo