Guys, it is officially strawberry season! I have been loving the farmer’s market lately because that first hint of late Spring/early Summer produce is overwhelming the vendors, and I am pumped! One of my favorite ways to use sweet strawberries this time of year is in a batch of these unbelievably fluffy fresh strawberry cookies. You heard that right – FRESH STRAWBERRY COOKIES. WHAT? Yes.
I have been making these sweet ruby dotted cookies for years and they are always a crowd favorite, especially at BBQs and parties. They are more cake-like than regular cookies due to the addition of cream cheese in the batter. The sweet vanilla flavored dough is studded with white chocolate chunks and fresh strawberries for the ultimate Summer cookie.
I will warn you – these are labors of love. They require a few extra steps (and time!), like refrigerating the dough, in order to ensure you get a fluffy cookie rather than one that is too thin.
Friends of mine over the years have nicknamed these, “Pillows of Summer,” because they really are the most delectable and heavenly little pillows of strawberry goodness. Memorial Day Weekend is almost upon us, so why not kick off Summer the best way possible with a batch of these fresh strawberry cookies!Print
These light and cakey cookies are studded with fresh strawberries and white chocolate chunks.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped into little pieces
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon, about 1 heaping Tbsp
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8oz chopped white chocolate
- 3–4 Tbsp flour (for coating strawberries)
- Line two large rimmed cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries and 2 Tbsp lemon juice. Toss to coat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the vanilla and then the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add remaining lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet in 3 parts. Combining well after each addition. Stir in white chocolate chunks.
- Drain the liquid off of the strawberries and add the 3 Tbsp of flour. Toss to coat. (This prevents your cookies from turning pink!) Slowly stir strawberries in to batter.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of batter onto ONE of the prepared pans. Refrigerate dough for 30mins-60mins to allow dough to set.
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
- Using the other prepared pan, work in batches of 12. Keep remaining dough in fridge until ready to bake. Bake each batch for 15-18 minutes until the edges start to turn golden.
- Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cookies are best served same day.