Delicious grilled artichokes with a zesty lemon garlic dipping sauce. A beautiful artichoke appetizer or side dish.
FOR THE ARTICHOKES:
- 2 large artichokes
- 2 lemon halves
- 3 garlic cloves, whole and peeled
- 1 Tbsp kosher or sea salt
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped Italian parsley for garnish
FOR THE LEMON AIOLI:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp fresh garlic, crushed
- ¼ tsp salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp fresh cracked black pepper, or to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- Use a small food processor to blend together the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Process for 10-20 seconds. Taste, and adjust flavor to your taste. Transfer to a small bowl and keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Prep the artichokes by trimming the stem and cutting the tops off of the outer leaves. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 Tbsp kosher or sea salt, peppercorns, garlic cloves and lemon halves, squeezing lemon juice into pot before dropping them in. Add whole artichokes, reduce heat to medium, and bring the water back to a simmer before covering, and cook about 35-45 minutes, or longer depending on size of your artichokes. Artichokes should be tender when done. You can also test if they're done by pulling off some outer leaves. They should release easily.
- Carefully remove the artichokes from the water and drain any excess water. Carefully cut them in half lengthwise, and scoop out the pokey choke center. Drizzle the halves with olive or avocado oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Grill artichokes, flat sides up for about 4 minutes, or until golden brown and lightly charred on one side. Turn and cook an additional 4 minutes or until grill marks appear.
- Sprinkle halves with parsley for garnish and serve with dipping sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 60 Minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Grilled
Keywords: Artichokes, Difficulty – Moderate, Vegetarian, Garlic, Lemon, Grilled, Keto, Gluten Free