It's almost the official kick-off to Summer so get that BBQ cleaned off, and fill up that gas tank (you don't want to be that guy/gal that runs out of gas mid-grill). This recipe comes straight from the Prince family vault! My mom used to make these grilled Summer vegetables growing up (and she still does!). To this day they bring back memories of big weekend BBQs, playing Super Soaker tag, and running around the backyard in my bathing suit from dawn till dusk. Ahhh the good ole days.
These grilled Summer vegetables are so easy to throw together and make the perfect side dish for BBQs, or Summer cook outs. They go especially well with my Greek chicken burgers and Mediterranean orzo pasta salad. The veggies can easily be prepped ahead of time and thrown on the grill whenever you're ready. I love to use zucchini, yellow squash, bell pepper, onions, and portobello mushrooms, but you can really customize them to your liking. My mom likes to throw in a sliced eggplant sometimes, or even asparagus. Use whatever vegetables tickle your fancy. The key is the marinade.
The veggies are marinated with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, fresh sage (SECRET INGREDIENT), crushed garlic, salt and pepper. Super simple, but highly effective at taking ordinary grilled vegetables to the next level. Completely optional, but highly encouraged is a fresh sprinkle of either feta or goat cheese on top. As if you didn't have reason enough to devour the entire dish already, right?!
I love making a big batch of these grilled Summer vegetables because the leftovers are just as delicious and useful to help fit in extra veggies throughout the week! I chop them up and throw them in my eggs, eat them cold as a snack, or reheat them throughout the week. The recipe can also easily be scaled if you're feeding a larger crowd.Print
Grilled Summer Vegetables
- Total Time: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- Yield: 4-5 Servings 1x
These easy grilled vegetables make the perfect Summer side dish.
- 1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, stem, seeds and pith removed, cut into 8-10 pieces
- 1 zucchini, ¼ inch sliced on a diagonal
- 1 yellow squash, ¼ inch sliced on a diagonal
- ½ white, or purple onion, ¼ inch sliced, secure with a toothpick to keep rounds together
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Crumbled feta or goat cheese for garnish (optional)
- Add all cut vegetables to gallon size Ziplock bag, except mushrooms. Mushrooms act like a sponge, so do not add them to the bag until ready to grill.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, sage, salt and pepper.
- Pour marinade over veggies, seal the bag, and toss to coat. Leave bag on counter to marinate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Pre-heat grill to medium heat. Carefully arrange a single layer of vegetables on the grill. Be careful as the olive oil can cause flare ups! Add the mushrooms to the marinade bag and quickly toss to coat before adding them to the grill. Grill vegetables for 4-5 minutes a side, or until desired doneness.
- Transfer grilled vegetables to a plate and allow to cool for a few minutes before topping with crumbled feta or goat cheese.
- Prep Time: 1 Hour
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Category: Sides, Vegetarian
- Method: Grilling
Keywords: Grilled Vegetables, Summer, Recipe, Easy, Grilling
Leave a Comment