Homemade Sloppy Joes
A healthier take on a beloved classic, these are the best homemade sloppy joes.
- Author: Amanda Prince
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Meat, Summer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lb super lean ground beef (the leaner the better)
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- ¾ tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 large hamburger buns
- potato chips with ridges, optional but encouraged
- In a small bowl or 1 cup measuring cup, combine the tomato paste, ketchup, white vinegar, water, ground mustard, and chili powder. Stir, and set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, onion, and bell pepper. Break up the beef into small pieces as it cooks. Cook for 5-10 minutes, or until beef is fully cooked. Remove from heat, and carefully drain any excess fat.
- Return pan to the stove over medium heat. Add garlic and stir. Allow to cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and stir. Pour the tomato mixture over the beef and allow to simmer on low heat until sauce has thickened, about 5 more minutes.
- Spoon sloppy joe mixture over a toasted hamburger bun and serve with potato chips with ridges.
Keywords: Sloppy Joes, Homemade