Happy (almost) official start to Summer! Some how quarantine made Spring a giant blur. Normally by now I am plotting the outdoor Summer movies and concert series in my calendar, and dreaming about long warm beach days ahead with friends. Kick-off to Summer is looking a little different in the times of Covid, but I am determined to find the joy wherever, and whenever, I can! And that means still celebrating Memorial Day with a little red, white, and blue and these mini dark chocolate crispy berry bites.
This easy no bake dessert is perfect for all of your Summer BBQs or parties. They are simple enough for kids to help make, and have only a handful of easily found ingredients. In the times of Covid, convenience and ease are important, am I right!? Perhaps my favorite part - they are crispy, creamy, chocolatey, and highlight the beauty of Summer berries!
To make the chocolate cups, all you need is crushed chocolate puffed rice cereal, dark chocolate, and a little bit of coconut oil. The reason I use refined coconut oil in baking is it doesn't have a coconut taste. If you've ever steered clear of coconut oil in the past due to the coconut taste, try filtered or refined. I promise, you can't taste it! The coconut oil also helps stabilize the chocolate and hardens it when frozen. You want those chocolate cups nice and cold and firm before you start layering the whipped cream and berries.
I used store bought whipped cream to keep things easy, but if you're dairy free or want to keep these vegan, you can also use coconut whipped cream.
Next stop - berries! I personally love all berries, so I opted for the trifecta of blueberries, raspberries, and sliced strawberries, but feel free to use whatever berry combo you prefer!
If you're making this for a party, I would advise assembling them right before serving. I found that they are best while the whipped cream still has some loft. The chocolate cups can easily be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer until you're ready.
I think you will find these little bit sized dessert bites are the perfect addition to your Summer plans. They are easy to make, so cute, and a healthier no bake dessert guaranteed to please.Print
Mini Dark Chocolate Crispy Berry Bites
- Total Time: 40 Minutes
- Yield: 24 Bites 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
These mini dark chocolate crispy fruit bites are an easy no-bake dessert great for Summer BBQs and parties. The red, white, and blue, makes these the perfect Memorial Day, 4th of July, or Labor Day bite sized dessert.
- 2 cups chocolate puffed rice cereal
- 4 oz dark chocolate
- 2 Tbsp refined coconut oil
- Whipped cream (you can also use coconut whipped cream)
- Fresh berries - blueberries, sliced strawberries, raspberries
- Line a mini-muffin pan with paper liners, or grease each well with coconut oil. Set aside.
- Using a food processor, pulse the chocolate puffed rice cereal until it resembles coarse crumbs. If you don’t have a food processor, you can also use a blender, OR you can add the cereal to a Ziplock bag, and gently smash it. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the coconut oil and chocolate. I recommend starting at :30s intervals and stirring after each interval to avoid burning the chocolate.
- Pour the chocolate cereal into the chocolate mixture and stir until well combined.
- Add approximately 1 tablespoon of the chocolate mixture to each muffin well. Gently press the mixture down and around to the sides to create a “cup”.
- Freeze the mini-muffin pan for 20 minutes, or until the chocolate has completely hardened.
- Gently remove each chocolate cup by either turning the pan over, or twisting each one until it releases.
- Add about a tablespoon of whipped cream to each chocolate cup and top with an arrangement of your favorite berries. Serve immediately.
The whipped cream tends to melt and not hold its shape if left out. If you are planning on bringing these to a party, I suggest making the chocolate cups ahead of time, keeping them in the freezer or refrigerator, and assembling with the whipped cream and berries just prior to serving.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Category: Desserts, Summer, No Bake
Keywords: No Bake, Dessert, Red White and Blue, Summer, Gluten Free, Whipped Cream, Berries
Leave a Comment