This easy paleo breakfast casserole is the perfect healthy breakfast for a crowd. It is full of fresh veggies and chicken sausage keeping it light and flavorful. A great paleo addition to any breakfast or brunch table.
- 2 ½ cups cubed sweet potato, skin on
- 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion
- ¾ lb (about 3) fresh chicken sausages, casings removed
- 3 cups power greens, or fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup chopped roasted red peppers, drained and pat dry
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup milk (I like almond or cashew)
- ¼ cup avocado or olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh minced chives
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped Italian parsley
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375F degrees. Oil or spray a 9×13 baking dish, and set aside.
- Make the egg mixture by whisking together the 8 eggs, milk, chives, and parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp avocado oil in a large skillet. Add the pealed chicken sausage, and cook until browned, breaking the sausage up as you go. About 5-7 minutes. Remove from the pan, and set aside. Do not wipe the pan clean.
- Add the remaining 2 Tbsp avocado oil, sweet potato cubes, and onion. Cook, allowing the sweet potato to caramelize, and the onions to soften. About 7-10 minutes. Add the power greens or spinach, and stir until wilted. About 1-2 minutes. Add the garlic and roasted red pepper. Stir to combine, and remove from heat.
- Transfer filling to the prepared casserole dish and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before pouring the egg/herb mixture over top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until firm in the center, and golden and crisp around the edge.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
To make-ahead: Assemble the casserole as directed, but allow the filling to cool completely before pouring the egg mixture on top. Cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight. Allow the casserole to come to room temperature for 30 minutes before baking as directed.