Tis the season for peppermint EVERYTHING and I am totally on board! I am loving all of the creative peppermint recipes popping up on Instagram lately, but I was recently in a pinch for a quick festive dessert, with absolutely zero time to go to the store. Thanks to a box of my favorite gluten free brownie mix and my latest impulse buy from Trader Joes, Gluten Free Peppermint Joe Joes, I was able to whip up these cheery peppermint brownies in no time at all!
Prepare the brownies according to package directions, but add a small splash of peppermint extract or peppermint essential oil to the batter. Pour half of the batter into a baking pan, then create a layer of peppermint chocolate cookies. Add remaining batter and top with colorful sprinkles or crushed candy cane. 25-35 minutes later, you’ve got a festive dessert guaranteed to please!
This recipe can be completely gluten free, or you can use your favorite brownie mix and regular peppermint chocolate cookies. This recipe would be equally as delicious with York peppermint patties instead of the cookies, or a similar minty dessert.
I have also tried roughly chopping the peppermint cookies instead of having a solid layer through the middle and that method is equally as delicious, but the top of the brownies can be a little messier without an even layer.Print
The Easiest Peppermint Brownies
This is the easiest recipe for peppermint brownies ever! A festive holiday dessert, these peppermint brownies are sure to be a chocolately treat everyone will enjoy during the holidays.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25-35 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
- Yield: 16 Brownies 1x
- Category: Dessert, Winter, Holiday
- Method: Baking
- 1 box of your favorite brownie mix
- all the ingredients needed to prepare recipe on back of brownie box
- Peppermint Joe Joes from Trader Joes, or your favorite peppermint chocolate cookie
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract, or 4 drops of peppermint essential oil
- optional: crushed candy cane or festive sprinkles for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper, or grease, and set aside.
- Prepare brownie mix as directed on back of the box. Add peppermint extract (or essential oil), and mix well. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Add a layer of peppermint Joe Joes, spacing them out evenly. Pour the remaining batter over top and spread evenly. Top with festive sprinkles or crushed candy cane.
- Bake according to package directions, about 25-35 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
Keywords: Peppermint Brownies, Holiday Dessert, Christmas Dessert, Chocolate, Easy Recipe