Quinoa breakfast cups are a healthy breakfast for busy mornings. These are full of ham, broccoli, and cheddar – a great combination to fuel your day.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (about 3/4 cup uncooked)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup broccolini florets
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup diced ham
- ¼ cup chopped shallot
- ¼ tsp red chili pepper flakes, or a few dashes of hot sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare the quinoa according to package directions, and then transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and liberally oil a standard muffin tin. Set aside.
- Whisk the four eggs in a small bowl, set aside.
- Steam the broccolini by adding it to a small bowl with 1/4 cup water and microwaving it for 45-60 seconds. You don't want it to be mushy, just crisp tender. Drain the water and allow the florets to cool. Roughly chop the broccolini and add to the cooled quinoa.
- Add the beaten eggs, ham, shallot, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin, filling each well equally. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the edges of the muffins are golden brown.
- Allow the quinoa cups to cool in the tin for at least 5 minutes before removing them.
- To freeze: place completely cooled cups in a large gallon Ziplock bag.
- To reheat: microwave the cups for 30-60 seconds depending on how many you're making. Cups from the refrigerator will need less time to reheat.
- You can usually find organic broccolini at Trader Joe's, but feel free to substitute regular broccoli if you want! If you don't eat pork, or want to make this recipe vegetarian, simply leave out the ham.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25-30 Minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
Keywords: Quinoa, broccoli, ham, cheddar cheese, gluten free, Freezer-Friendly, Easy Breakfast