Quinoa breakfast cups are a healthy breakfast for busy mornings. These are full of spinach, bacon, and leeks – a great combination to fuel your day.
- 2 Cups cooked quinoa (about 3/4 cup uncooked)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup frozen, thawed and drained spinach *SEE NOTES
- 3 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 cup leek, chopped, white and light green part only
- 4 slices, approximately 4 oz, bacon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the quinoa according to package directions, and then transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and liberally oil a standard muffin tin. Set aside.
- Whisk the four eggs in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a medium-sized skillet, fry the bacon over medium heat, turning often, until crispy, but not burned. Remove bacon and allow to drain on a plate lined with paper towel. Reserve bacon grease.
- Add the chopped leeks to the bacon grease, and cook until crisp-tender, and slightly wilted, approximately 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Crumble the bacon and add to the cooled bowl of quinoa.
- Add the spinach, beaten eggs, leeks (with the bacon grease), parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tin, filling each well equally. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the edges of the muffins are golden brown.
- Allow the quinoa cups to cool in the tin for at least 5 minutes before removing them.
- To freeze: place completely cooled cups in a large gallon Ziplock bag.
- To reheat: microwave the cups for 30-60 seconds depending on how many you’re making. Cups from the refrigerator will need less time to reheat.
- To prepare thawed spinach, it is important to remove as much moisture as possible. To do this, use cheese cloth (or similar) to wring and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. The spinach should be very dry and crumbly when you’re done. You want a cup of this dry and crumbly spinach.