This corn salsa recipe is the perfect balance of sweet and spicy. It is made with just a few simple ingredients and comes together in less than 30 minutes. Serve it as a side on taco night, or as a tasty corn appetizer. If you’re a fan of Chipotle’s roasted chili-corn salsa, you will love this version!
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeds and white inside veins removed, finely diced (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 1 large poblano pepper, seeds and white inside veins removed, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large heavy bottom skillet over medium heat. Add the avocado oil and corn kernels and cook for 3 – 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want the kernels to get a nice golden color.
- Add the diced peppers and cook for an additional 2 – 3 minutes. The peppers will start to turn translucent when done. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, add the cooled corn and pepper mixture, the red onion, cilantro, lime juice, lemon juice, lime zest, and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine and adjust the flavors for your tastes as needed.
If using frozen corn, defrost your corn by adding it to a colander and running under water. It may need a few minutes to thaw completely. Make sure to drain off any excess moisture.
Pop the corn/pepper mixture into the freezer for a few minutes to help speed up the cooling process if you’re in a hurry.
If you want to make this roasted chili corn salsa mild, simply eliminate the jalapeño and poblano peppers and substitute a cup of finely chopped green bell pepper.
I do not recommend using canned corn. Not only is the texture more mushy, but it doesn’t have the same flavor.
To use fresh corn, gently remove the kernels from the cob and proceed with the recipe.
I prefer to serve my roasted chili corn salsa after it has had time for the flavors to blend as a cold side dish, but you can also serve immediately.
Store leftover roasted chili corn salsa in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 – 5 days.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooling Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Snack, Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Corn, Salsa, Chili-corn salsa, chili corn salsa, chipotle, copycat, recipe