A zesty shrimp fajita recipe, paired with two other recipes from the blog – corn salsa and cilantro lime brown rice.
- 1 lb medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- ½ white onion, sliced
- 1-2 Tbsp avocado or olive oil
- ¼ cup lime juice, plus wedges for serving
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp fresh black pepper, or to taste
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- cilantro lime brown rice
- roasted corn salsa
- 1 avocado, quartered and sliced
- your favorite salsa
- Rinse shrimp thoroughly under cold water. Pat shrimp dry. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lime juice, chili powder, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne (if using), salt and pepper. Add shrimp to marinade. Toss to coat shrimp. Cover bowl, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large heavy bottom skillet, heat the oil. Add the sliced pepper and onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the marinated shrimp to the peppers and onions, ideally in a single layer. Cook for 1-2 minutes before stirring/flipping. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until shrimp are cooked through. Remove from heat.
- The best part - assemble your bowl to your taste! I like to start with a bed of warm cilantro lime brown rice, a scoop of charred corn salsa, and then add the shrimp fajitas. Top it with sliced avocado, a drizzle of your favorite salsa, and a sprinkle of cilantro.
If you don’t want to have to make the two other recipes (though, I highly recommend that you do!), the shrimp fajita mixture can be easily served up in your favorite flour or corn tortillas, or on a bed of greens.
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Category: Seafood, Vegetarian
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Difficulty – Easy, Shrimp, Fajitas, Mexican Food, Gluten Free, Dairy Free