This avocado toast with smoked salmon is a balanced breakfast, full of healthy fats to keep you full all morning long. It is packed with flavor with layers of creamy avocado, arugula, smoked salmon, and a poached egg.
- 2 large slices of sourdough bread, or your favorite bread
- 2 large eggs
- 2 oz smoked salmon
- fresh arugula
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- olive oil for drizzling
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, optional but encouraged
- micro greens for garnish, optional but encouraged
- Spray a small 8-in skillet with cooking spray or rub with oil. Add ½ cup water. Heat over medium heat and watch for the water to start bubbling (not boiling). While waiting for the water to heat, start your toast.
- Take 2 large piece of sourdough and toast to desired doneness.
- Crack the eggs one at a time into the pan on the stove. Turn the heat to low, and cover. Cook eggs for 3-4 minutes, or until desired doneness.
- While the eggs are cooking, begin assembling your avocado toast.Start with a layer of avocado on top of the sourdough, then a sprinkle of salt and fresh cracked pepper, add a layer of arugula, followed by the smoked salmon.Carefully remove the eggs from the fry pan without breaking the yolks and drain any excess water.Slide the eggs on top of the salmon. Drizzle with olive oil, and top with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and micro greens, if desired.
Watch carefully as your eggs poach because they may cook quickly. I like to tent the lid ever so slightly to prevent the water from boiling over and making a mess.
To test your poached eggs for desired doneness, lightly tap the yolk with your finger after it has a white hue to it.
To prevent soggy avocado toast, give the sourdough a second to let off some steam after coming out of the toaster before assembling. This way the heat isn’t trapped under the avocado, and you have a nice sturdy base to build on.
Quality of ingredients matters – look for authentic fermented sourdough bread, pasture raised eggs, and wild caught smoked salmon.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Toaster, Stovetop
Keywords: Breakfast, Smoked Salmon, Avocado Toast, Sourdough bread, Healthy, Quick, Poached Egg