Summer is in full swing and that means avoiding turning on the oven as much as possible. Last week I posted about my favorite Vanilla Bean Rice Krispie Treats, but now I give you…drum roll, please…SNICKERS RICE KRISPIE TREATS.
I mean does this dessert get any better? Rice krispie treats, plus a layer of creamy caramel, some crunchy peanuts, a layer of dark chocolate and a sprinkling of sea salt. Mind blown. It’s like a snickers and a crunch bar had a no bake dessert baby…but way better!
It looks like a lot of steps, but I promise, it is just a lot of microwaving! I use bowls that can go in my dishwasher so I can minimize dishes as well. Because when it is Summer, you certainly don’t want to be doing a bunch of dishes! You can also melt everything in small pots on the stove, just make sure to watch carefully to avoid burning.
This is the ultimate gluten free dessert for any snickers or rice krispie treat lover in your family. They are perfectly chewy and not too sweet, and easy enough to throw together any day of the week.Print
These snickers rice krispie treats are an updated classic with layers of caramel, crunchy peanuts, and dark chocolate.
- 1, 10z box of puffed plain rice cereal (about 9 cups)
- 16oz marshmallows
- 3 Tbsp salted butter
- 12oz caramels, unwrapped
- 1 cup roasted peanuts, unsalted
- 12oz dark chocolate chocolate
- sea salt for sprinkling
- Grease (I use butter) a 9×13 ceramic baking dish and set aside.
- Measure out cereal into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add marshmallows and butter to a large microwavable bowl. Microwave on high for two minutes, and then stir. Microwave for an additional minute, or until marshmallows have melted completely, stirring after each minute.
- Add rice cereal to marshmallow and working quickly, incorporate the cereal until it is evenly coated. This may take you some time as the marshmallow begins to cool, it gets stiffer and stiffer. I sometimes find it easier to work with my hands if it isn’t too hot to touch.
- Press evenly into the greased dish, without compacting it too much.
- Add caramels to a small microwavable bowl, and microwave at 50% power, in 1-minute increments, stirring in between, until caramel is melted and smooth.
- Evenly spread the caramel over the rice krispie layer. Sprinkle the peanuts into the warm caramel.
- While that’s cooling, add the chocolate to a microwaveable bowl, and microwave at 50%, in 1-minute increments, stirring in between, until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel/peanut layer and spread evenly. After the chocolate has cooled for 1-2 minutes, sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares. Best if served the same day.