This spicy chili chicken brings the heat to any meal! It is topped with an easy and fresh tomato and tomatillo salsa and manchego cheese.
- 4 boneless, skin-less chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- ½ tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 tomatillos, husked, washed, and diced
- 3 green onions, white and light green parts, sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lime wedges for serving
- Manchego cheese, crumbled
- Butterfly the chicken by slicing each breast almost in half horizontally, so the breast opens flat. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, crushed garlic, ancho chili, chipotle chili, paprika, ground cumin, ground coriander, and 1 tsp salt. Rub each chicken breast with spice mixture on both sides, coating liberally. Cover, and let the chicken rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or up to a few hours.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa. Combine the tomatoes, tomatillos, green onion, cilantro, and lime juice in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to eat.
- Pre-heat your grill to medium heat. Add the chicken and cook. Each side should take 4-7 minutes depending on thickness and remember to only turn it once.
- Remove chicken from the grill and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before topping with the fresh salsa and crumbled Manchego cheese.