Happy official start of Summer y’all! There are a few things I look forward to every year…
- Movies in the park. Anyone else with me on this? Pack a picnic, watch a movie under the stars, sip a little wine. Pretty much the best nights ever!
- When it stays light out late and I feel like I am getting extra sunshine every day!
- ALL THE HOMEMADE LEMONADE!!
My mom makes the most incredible homemade lemonade thanks to her often overloaded lemon tree in the back yard. In fact, one time she literally sent me a box of lemons with a post-it note inside saying “Thought you could use a box of sunshine!” I know what you’re thinking, and you’re right…My mom is the cutest human ever! But seriously though, she wasn’t kidding about those lemons tasting like sunshine! And when you make lemonade out of them, it’s like drinking joy. That’s right. J-O-Y.
Mom’s homemade lemonade is the best because, well, it’s Mom’s! It’s comforting and familiar, and not too sweet (mom doesn’t like a lot of sugar). It’s perfect to keep in the fridge for those hot Summer days, and great for all the backyard BBQs this season!
You can use honey or sugar as the sweetener. The honey will add a more subtle flavor while the sugar just tampers down the tart lemon flavor. I have made it both ways and the more I make it with honey the more I prefer that flavor profile.Print
This is the best homemade lemonade. Made with honey or sugar, it is not too sweet and tastes just like Mom’s.
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup raw honey (or sugar)
- 5 cups cold water
- Add lemon juice and honey (or sugar) to a ½ gallon pitcher. Stir until thoroughly mixed (or sugar is dissolved). Add water and mix.
- Serve over ice.