I visited my parents in Arizona a few weeks ago, and my mom kept raving about this Tuscan kale salad from True Food Kitchen. Now, I can’t recall ever raving about a kale salad, so her enthusiasm intrigued me. In typical mom fashion, she asked the restaurant for the recipe, and found out it is actually on Dr. Weil’s website.
My mom makes this salad every week, and we made it together while I was in town. Let me tell you, it is DE-LICIOUS! You use Tuscan kale aka dinosaur kale aka lacinato kale, which is nothing like the weed-like type of curly kale I typically think of. Tuscan kale, is a much more tender variety, but still hearty and sturdy. Plus, the flavors in the dressing complement each other so well! There is just a touch of heat from the red pepper, which contrasts well with the tanginess from the lemon and aged cheese.
You can make this salad ahead of time, and furthermore, it is an easy recipe to double or triple. I love making it on Sunday and having it for the week. Plus, I found it actually tastes better the next day, as the kale begins to soften and the flavors meld together.
When I was on the Candida Plan, I omitted the cheese and breadcrumbs, and I still continue to make it that way. Without the cheese or breadcrumbs this salad is Paleo, Keto, and Whole30 compliant.
The original recipe is also available in the True Food Cookbook, I have available in my SHOP. It is by far one of my favorite cookbooks, and one of my favorite gifts for my my fellow True Food loving friends!Print
The Tuscan Kale salad from True Food Kitchen is what kale salad dreams are made of! The kale is lightly tossed in a garlic/lemon dressing with just the right amount of tang.
- 1 bunch Lacinato (Dinosaur) kale
- scant ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- scant ¼ cup high-quality olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- red chili pepper flakes, to taste (I like about 1/8 tsp)
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (this is not traditionally in recipe, but I like to add it)
- ¼ – ½ cup Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly grated (optional)
- ¼ cup toasted bread crumbs (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, garlic, red chili flakes, salt and pepper.
- Rinse and tap dry kale leaves and remove stems. Cut leaves into ribbons. Add to a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over chopped kale and add half of the cheese, if using. Toss to coat evenly. Top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs, if using.
- This salad tastes best the next day, after the kale has had time to soften. If serving the same day, use your hands and gently massage the clean kale prior to adding the dressing.
- When I was on the Candida Plan I would make this salad without cheese or breadcrumbs. I got so used to it, that I continue to make it that way to this day. If you omit the cheese and breadcrumbs, this salad is paleo, and Whole30 compliant.