What is it about it that makes a wedge salad so stinking delicious? Is it the crispy bacon? Blue cheese? Ranch dressing? Never mind, I just answered my own question. The wedge salad is one of my absolute favorites, but I wanted to make a simpler version to serve a crowd that didn’t involve needing a steak knife and a lot of cutting! It’s a lot of work getting through that giant wedge sometimes! These wedge salad skewers are the perfect solution!
These wedge salad skewers make a great side, or a cute little appetizer. Furthermore, the bite size pieces means you don’t need a knife, and each skewer packs all of the flavors you love into a convenient portable stick!
This recipe is easily scalable for any size crowd. Each skewer uses one strip of bacon, and two cherry tomatoes, and you can get approximately 18 skewers out of one head of iceberg lettuce.
These flavorful little skewers are perfect for all of your Summer BBQs!Print
Wedge salad flavors, in a convenient portable and easy to eat skewer.
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- 36 cherry tomatoes
- 18 slices of bacon (approximately 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 6” skewers
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil, and layer bacon in a single layer. You might need two baking sheets to fit all of the bacon. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until bacon has reached desired doneness. You don’t want the bacon too crispy or it won’t skewer well, it will just crumble.
- While the bacon is cooking, cut up the head of lettuce. Begin by holding the root end in your left hand, and slicing 1 inch discs. Cube those discs into equal pieces. Approximately 6-9 cubes depending on the size of the head of lettuce.
- Remove bacon from the sheet and drain on a plate lined with paper towel. Cut the bacon slices into four equal pieces.
- Begin assembling the skewers by layering a cube of lettuce, followed by two pieces of bacon, a cherry tomato, another salad cube, two more pieces of bacon, and finishing with a cherry tomato.
- Assemble all of your skewers and arrange in a single layer. Sprinkle generously with blue cheese, followed by the drizzle of ranch dressing. Serve immediately.