I have a huge soft spot for Lacinato kale, and Fall/Winter is peak season for it! I literally make this kale salad every week, but I decided to shake things up a bit and combine forces with some of my other favorite winter finds. This winter kale salad with shaved fennel and pomegranate is definitely a celebration of seasonal flavors!
I think fennel gets a bad rap because it looks so intimidating (see my Insta-Story), but once you get the hang of how to use it, it makes a great addition to your winter meals! It has a slight licorice taste, but an epic crisp texture…almost celery-like, but less watery and not stringy.
The shaved fennel pairs perfectly with the leafy kale, and balances the tart/sweet flavor of the pomegranate seeds. The added crunch and saltiness from the pistachios is a great addition, especially with the slightly sour flavor from the crumbled feta. I made this salad last week and I am still dreaming about it! And the best part? It is super easy to throw together, and beautiful enough to serve at a dinner party or fancy gathering.
The dressing is a simple vinaigrette with champagne vinegar (also highly underrated), and olive oil. There is a little bit of honey in the dressing to help cut the acidity, but it is not a sweet dressing by any means. It works quite beautifully with the other bright flavors in the salad.Print
A celebration of seasonal flavors, this winter kale salad is a perfectly balanced blend of leafy kale, crisp fennel, pistachios, fresh pomegranate, and feta cheese. It is as delicious as it is beautiful.
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed, cut into thin strips
- ½ fennel bulb, stems, fronds, and tough core removed, sliced thin on a mandolin
- small handful of reserved fennel bulb fronds (fluffy green sprigs)
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ – ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped roasted and salted pistachios
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Assemble the salad by adding the kale to a large bowl or serving platter. Sprinkle with the shaved fennel, pomegranate seeds, feta, and crushed pistachios.
- To make the dressing, whisk together in a small bowl the olive oil, champagne vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss lightly to coat. Sprinkle with fennel fronds as a final garnish.