Happy Monday guys! I don’t know about you but I am loving Summer already! The weather has been incredible in Los Angeles, minus a few, “June Gloom,” days. But, I am seriously in full Summer recipe mode! There is never really a bad time to eat pasta (am I right?), but in Summer, I do love making lighter pasta dishes, like this zucchini and caprese pasta.
There is no sauce per-se, other than the garlic, shallots, and oil used to sauté the zucchini and tomatoes. When the tomatoes burst, they also add enough liquid to make this the perfect light Summer pasta dish! The addition of creamy mozzarella make for a secretly veggie-full caprese pasta.
I often use gluten free pasta, and Ancient Harvest is easily my favorite, but you can really use any pasta you like. I suggest a shape like rotini, or even spaghetti. Penne or a similar tube-shape would be too much for this dish. Plus, the little spirals grab onto that shredded zucchini!
The recipe calls for mozzarella pearls but I’ve also been known to cut up a large ball of fresh mozzarella, or if I’m really feeling dangerous, I cut up some burrata.
Take my advice and add a sprinkling of parmesan on top for a little extra somethin’ somethin’.
This pasta dish is also extremely versatile. I love adding adding sliced pre-cooked chicken sausage while the zucchini and tomatoes are cooking. You could even add some leftover roast chicken if you have some on hand.
Happy (almost) Summer friends!Print
Zucchini Caprese Pasta
This delicious pasta is full of Summer veggies like zucchini and blistered tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Pasta, Vegetarian
- 8oz pasta noodles
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- salt and peper to taste
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded, about 2 cups
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pearl mozzarella
- fresh grated parmesan, for garnish
- fresh basil, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions, until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, add butter and oil to a large sauté pan. Over medium heat, add garlic and shallot, and stir. Add shredded zucchini and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until tomatoes begin to blister and burst. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water, and return it back to the pot. Add cooked zucchini and burst tomatoes and stir to combine. If you need more liquid, adjust with the pasta water.
- Before serving, add mozzarella, parmesan, and basil, to taste.
Keywords: Caprese, Pasta, Gluten Free, Mozzarella, Tomatoes